04 abril 2006

Working With the Precepts

SETTLING INTO THE HEART OF BUDDHA:
Working With the Precepts
By Roshi Egyoku Nakao
http://www.zencenter.org/news/DharmaTalks/HeartBuddha.htm

THE SIXTEEN OBSERVANCES
OF THE ZEN PEACEMAKER ORDER:
The Three Refuges of a Zen Peacemaker
(The Three Treasures)

Inviting all creations into the mandala of my practice and vowing to serve them, I take refuge in:

Buddha, the awakened nature of all beings;
Dharma, the ocean of wisdom and compassion,
Sangha, the community of those living in harmony with all Buddhas and Dharmas.

The Three Tenets of a Zen Peacemaker
(The Three Pure Precepts: Do no evil, Do good, Do good for others)

Taking refuge and entering the stream of engaged spirituality, I vow to live a life of:

Not-knowing, thereby giving up fixed ideas about myself and the universe.
Bearing witness to the joy and suffering of the world.
Healing myself and others.

The Ten Practices of a Zen Peacemaker
(The Ten Grave Precepts)

Being mindful of the interdependence of Oneness and Diversity, and wishing to actualize my vows, I engage in the spiritual practices of:

Recognizing that I am not separate from all that is. This is the precept of Non-Killing.

Being satisfied with what I have. This is the precept of Non-Stealing.

Encountering all creations with respect and dignity. This is the precept of Chaste Conduct.

Listening and speaking from the heart. This is the precept of Non-Lying.

Cultivating a mind that sees clearly. This is the precept of Not Being Deluded.

Unconditionally accepting what each moment has to offer. This is the precept of Not Talking About Others Errors and Faults.

Speaking what I perceive to be the truth without guilt or blame. This is the precept of Not Elevating Oneself and Blaming Others.

Using all of the ingredients of my life. This is the precept of Not Being Stingy.

Transforming suffering into wisdom. This is the precept of Not Being Angry.

Honoring my life as an instrument of peacemaking. This is the precept of Not Thinking Ill of the Three Treasures.